Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mariel's Proportion Post

Part 1: Definitions & Examples

Ratio: -Part-to-part: Compares different parts of a group to each other.
          -Part-to-Whole: Compares one part of a group.


Rate: -Compares two quantities measured in different units. 

Example:
$6 per 12 cookies or $0.50 per cookie


Proportion: -A relationship that says that two ratios or two rates are equal.


Part 2: Questions...
1. 5 hours to travel 360km is about 72 km/h.

2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns. Emma earned $75 last week. How much money did Emma save last week? Emma saved $21 last week.

Part 3: Equivalent Ratio Statements
Part 4: Proportion Video
Part 5: Social Justice

1.  No. 
2. 



3. It's not fair because in the first case, the person stole 3 BILLION, and only has to go to jail for 40 MONTHS. Yet, the homeless man only stole $100 and has to go to jail for 15 YEARS

4. If I were the judge, I'd give the man in the first case a life sentence to jail. And I'd give the homeless man a year sentence to jail plus community service. 

**BONUS QUESTION:

How tall is the tree on the right?




I searched up the average size of a teenage boy and got 167 cm. I measured the boy with my ruler, and he was 2 cm. Then, I measured the tree on the right with my ruler, and it was 6 cm. So if I were to make the size of the boy, and the size of a tree into a fraction, it would be 2/6 or when simplified, 1/3. Then I realized, if I would multiply the average size of a teenage boy by 3, I could get an approximate size of a real tree. If your a bit confused with all my words, here's why I'm trying to say: 

So now we have the answer, we can simplify. The average teenage boy is 1.67 meters, and the tree is approximately 5.01 meters, (I'm sorry if I got the answer wrong, or completely confused you, this is my first time trying to do this kind of proportion question.) 

The tree on the right is approximately 5.01 meters.














No comments:

Post a Comment